Whether you chomped down hard on a popcorn kernel or were enjoying a piece of hard candy when it happened, finding a bit of broken tooth in your mouth is enough to make you feel sick. Broken and chipped teeth aren’t a cause for panic, but you do need to see the best dentist in North Raleigh, right away. There are many options to fix and repair these teeth so that they don’t become infected or suffer further damage. Waiting and not having your tooth looked at could cause you to lose the tooth altogether.
If you can’t see the best dentist in North Raleigh immediately, here are some things that you can do to help ease the discomfort until you can be seen:
- Rinse your mouth with salt water after eating or drinking.
- Take an over the counter pain reliever to help with the pain.
- Use icepacks or warm compresses on the side of your face to help with pain control as well.
- Sharp and jagged edges where the break occurred are common. Cover them with a piece of sugarless chewing gum or paraffin wax to keep the edges from cutting your cheek or tongue.
- Choose soft foods and avoid biting down on the tooth or chewing on that side of your mouth if you must eat before you can be seen.
Depending on how severely the tooth is damaged, the best dentist in North Raleigh may need to see you for multiple visits. Here are some of the options your dentist has to repair your tooth depending on the severity of the chip or break.
- If you have lost a large portion of your tooth or the tooth has a lot of decay your dentist may need to grind away part of the remaining tooth and cover it with a crown or tooth-shaped cap to protect the tooth and improve its appearance. If the entire top of the tooth is broken off and the root is still intact, you may need to have a root canal and a pin placed to build up enough structure in the area so that a crown can be set. Both of these options usually require two visits to the dentist’s office. However, some dentists can do a crown the same day with new in-office digital milling technology.
- If a front tooth has chipped, a dental veneer can restore its appearance and make it look healthy and whole again. A veneer is a thin shell of tooth-colored porcelain which covers the entire front of the tooth, with a thicker section to replace the part of the tooth that is broken.
- Did you lose just a small piece of your tooth? Your dentist may choose to repair the damage with a filling. If the chip is in one of your front teeth where it will be easily seen, your dentist may decide to use a tooth-colored resin and perform a procedure called bonding instead.
Don’t wait to have your broken or chipped teeth fixed. Call Dr. Katherine Garrett today and schedule your appointment. We are proud to provide dental care for the entire family and are always accepting new patients. Prevent broken or chipped teeth with a dental checkup and regular dental appointments.