Do you want whiter and brighter teeth? You may be considering having your teeth professionally whitened – perhaps you have an upcoming gala, graduation, wedding? But we should warn you that professional teeth whitening procedures are not permanent. Unfortunately, the previous shade of your teeth will come back if you neglect your dentist’s maintenance instructions, within months or even days after treatment. Therefore, today we’ll discuss 6 simple steps for keeping your teeth sparkly white after a professional teeth whitening service with the best North Raleigh dentist.
1. Avoid Stain-Causing Beverages
The best way to keep your pearly whites WHITE is not exactly the easiest. You must avoid any beverage that will stain your teeth. Goodbye morning cup of joe. Sayonara red wine. But is giving up our creature comforts possible? We agree that drinking plain water only might not be possible, but preventing teeth stains while enjoying your favorite beverages is still possible. If you must drink a colorful, potentially staining liquid, use a straw! By using a straw, you can effectively safeguard your teeth from being discolored and extend the life of your fresh North Raleigh dentist teeth whitening.
2. Also, avoid these foods
While you’re avoiding beverages that will stain your teeth, you should also avoid any foods that could stain your teeth, at least for the first 24-48 hours. If you’re not sure (and feel like running a simple science experiment), test the substance on a piece of white fabric and see if stains. If it does, avoid. The longer you can hold off on these foods following a North Raleigh dentist teeth whitening, the longer your new smile will last!
- Your teeth will be incredibly sensitive following a professional teeth whitening. Therefore you should avoid all fruit (with the exception of bananas), as fruit is highly acidic and can cause pain immediately after the whitening treatment.
- On the same note, since your teeth will be more sensitive to cold foods, avoid cold foods such as ice cream, frozen yogurt, popsicles, etc.
- Similar to fruit in terms of acidic levels (and pain if you eat them following treatment), avoid eating pickles, cucumbers, and any other pickled food as they can be bad for the enamel of your teeth.
- Dark Foods such as dark chocolate, tomato-based soups, sauces and stews, blueberries, beets, soy sauces, and any other dark sauces, etc. are more likely to stain your teeth and should be avoided for as long as possible following North Raleigh dentist teeth whitening. The longer you can refrain from eating dark foods, the longer your whitening treatment will last.
- Finally, avoid eating red meat if you want your teeth whitening treatment to really last. Red meat is both acidic and staining, both of which will completely ruin your efforts to whiten your teeth.
3. Enjoy a Crunchy Snack!
Just as there are certain foods you should avoid after a professional teeth whitening, there are also foods that you should include in your diet to get the most out of your bright, white smile. Fresh, crunchy fruits and veggies such as cucumber, celery, pears, carrots, and apples will all help wash away plaque so that your pearly whites stay healthy-looking for as long as possible. These crunchy snacks serve as a natural toothbrush to polish the surfaces of your teeth. They also promote good saliva flow, which is perfect if you also want your breath to stay fresh! So, go ahead – enjoy a crunchy snack!
4. Rinse with water after eating
Your North Raleigh dentist recommends that you brush your teeth twice a day, specifically once in the morning and again at night. While she does not necessarily recommend that you brush after every meal (no need to over-brush), she does suggest that you rinse your mouth with either an alcohol-free mouthwash or water following meals. Rinsing loosens any food particles that have gathered in your mouth while eating. Rinsing also clears any sugar or acid particles from your teeth, preventing cavities that can discolor the teeth.
5. Don’t smoke or dip.
Smoking stains your teeth in the same way that drinking a black cup of coffee or a tall glass of red wine does. We don’t recommend smoking in general, but if you want to keep your North Raleigh dentist teeth whitening treatment white for as long as possible, avoid smoking entirely.
6. Use White Toothpaste.
Your teeth will get somewhat dehydrated from teeth whitening treatments and become like little sponges that can absorb any color they come in contact with, including colored toothpaste. On a similar note, wait at least 30 minutes before brushing your teeth after a whitening treatment to allow your teeth to remineralize.
FREE Professional Teeth Whitening
Did you know that all new patients receive a free professional teeth whitening procedure when they complete your new patient exam and x-rays with the best North Raleigh dentist? Call Dr. Katherine E. Garrett and schedule an appointment. New patients are always welcome, and we are proud to provide dental care for your entire family in a relaxed environment. Don’t wait until you have a dental emergency, call our office today!