Family dentist, Dr. Katherine E. Garrett, wants you to keep your teeth as clean as possible at all times! Use the following tips to help with teeth whitening, health and longevity.
- Wait 30 minutes to Brush: Waiting at least 30 minutes after drinking soda or anything related will give your teeth some time to harden after the acidic beverage softens the tooth enamel. Saliva protects the teeth from the effects of the acid
- Use a Straw: Drinking through a straw will minimize acidic contact between tooth and drink.
- Calcium: Research has shown that the presence of calcium not only may reduce the erosive potential of soft drinks, but it may also increase mineral density.
- Only brush twice a day: Over-brushing can keep your teeth clean, but it can create bigger problems, such as receding, bleeding gums or additional wear to enamel!
- Don’t eat before bed: It takes saliva about an hour to neutralize acids in your mouth, but saliva flow dramatically decreases when you sleep. That’s why it’s best to finish your last meal/snack at least an hour before bed.
Our family dentist is dedicated to helping your dental health! Come in and receive our new patient special. Complimentary Zoom teeth whitening (a $430 value) when you complete your initial cleaning and x-rays. Click here for the coupon.